Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tipping the Scales

I've gotten into the habit of weighing myself before every workout. Now that I'm tracking my calories so closely, I find stepping on the scale beneficial. After a weekend of eating and drinking I can see where I am and what I need to do to get back on track, for instance.

The other day at the gym, the top bar on the scale I normally use had been replaced. I stepped on and noticed that it read 12 pounds lower than what it normally does. I stepped off to make sure it was properly calibrated, and it was. But it was also properly calibrated the last time, to my knowledge.

Knowing that I hadn't magically dropped 12 pounds since my last workout two days before, I asked the employee at the Y's front desk on the way out if he knew about the women's locker room scale and if it had been replaced.

He said he didn't know. After I explained the discrepancy in measurement, he said, "is it that important to you?"

I was irritated that he would ask this. I felt that he was calling me vain for caring about getting an accurate measure of my weight. This was a 12 pound difference. Kind of a big deal, right?

Beyond that, who is he to judge what should be important to me? It's important because it's something I've been doing to track my weight for health reasons. Hell, the doctor weighs you every time you come in. It's useful information to have. And since the difference was so dramatic, I wanted to know why. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I'm not the type to fret over a single pound or two, as I'm accustomed to my weight fluctuating slightly for various reasons. But maintaining a healthy weight, tracking my BMI, and having records on my progress are that important to me.

So take that, dude at the Y. Maybe it's time to invest in a scale for my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment