Thursday, October 21, 2010

Goals!

Hi fellow get-in-shapers!

In a lot of ways, taking care of my body is just as much a spiritual discipline as it is a health issue.  You see, I'm a seminary student pursuing my Master of Divinity at Eden Seminary in St. Louis.  I try and try and try and I simply cannot look at anything without reflecting on the spiritual and theological implications of it.  It's imbedded in me now.  So, I dare to mention a "body is a temple" reference here:

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you which you have from God? ... Therefore glorify God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

As of now, I don't take very good care of my body.  I know that.  I have been blessed with a great metabolism and the ability to build muscle mass fairly easily.  Since keeping weight down isn't a huge issue, it's really difficult to monitor how and when and what I eat.  However, the more I become aware of my bad eating habits, the more I realize that what I eat has a huge impact on my energy level, the way my body feels and moves, and the way the Holy Spirit moves and works in me.  I am also are that the more I work out, the more walks I take, and the more yoga I do, the healthier and happier I feel.  That's a fairly simple analysis, I suppose. 

So with that, here are a few goals I have for this blog:
1. To eat three square meals a day.  I am not a very good cook, and my husband isn't either.  We are really trying but it is a slow learning process.  Mistakes are often made.  Crock pot meals are our go-to on a good day.  On a bad day, lunch meat sandwiches or some frozen appetizer (ie: toasted ravioli) are our go-to.  This is an example of what I'm not okay with. We know we can get by on small amounts of food, but "getting by" and "taking care of our bodies" are entirely different things.  So-- more well-rounded meals, save the sandwiches for lunch, less preservatives. 
2. To walk our dog, Nosferatu, every single day.  He needs and deserves the walk.  We need and deserve the walk.  But somehow we make excuses a lot and don't take him.  Eventually, I'd like to evolve this goal from walking every single day to walking xx minutes every day.  But, baby steps.  Puppy steps.
3. To do one half hour of yoga at night.  Maic and I did this for a week and we loved it, but then something happened and we got off track and haven't done it in a while. 

I'm leaving my goals at that for now.  I think any more would seem overwhelming.

I also would like to post some recipes on here sometimes.  Like I said, I'm not a great cook.  But I am hoping to become one and sometimes I make something that I think is really good.  So I will post it when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment