Thursday, January 27, 2011

Success!!

I've worked out for 3 days in a row now.  I know that seems small, but to me, it's huge since I haven't done that for months.  Here's the breakdown:

Tuesday: Recumbent bike for 40 minutes

Wednesday: Elliptical for 40 minutes, then 75 crunches using the weighted ball (in sets of 20, 25, 30), then about 30 lunges

Thursday: Tennis for an hour (mostly groundstroke and volley drills), then a few weight machines (seated leg press, compound row, and the tricep one with the name I can never remember).  Also 10 minutes on the rowing machine (in 5 minute spurts).

I'll probably be sore tomorrow in my shoulders and arms, but that's okay.  I love a healthy muscle soreness following a heavy workout.  I miss that feeling, and I'll welcome it even as I complain about it.

Let's see how long I can keep up this streak!

Also, I've been making an effort to eat fruits and veggies every day.  Fruit is never a problem because I'm obsessed with it, but veggies I'm slowly starting to like.  I always liked carrots and corn, but so do 5 year olds.  I'm further embracing my love for zucchini and yellow squash and also eating peppers on more of a regular basis.  I feel quite fondly about red bell peppers right now, mainly because they're sweet and thus can be enjoyed raw or cooked (I love eating them raw, either with a homemade dill dip or  just plain).  They're also great in a veggie pasta sauce.  Here's the recipe for the sauce.  It's really simple, and based on what Kevin made for me about a month ago (but no matter how many times I make it, it's never quite the same as his):

1. Chop up 1 red pepper, 2 small tomatoes (or 1 large one), and about 1/3 of a sweet onion. Keep separate.
2. Heat some olive oil in a large pan over medium heat; while it's warming up, add basil, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper (just eye-ball it; I never measure).
3. Once the oil seems hot enough and is starting to sizzle, add the onions.
4. Once the onions are partially soft (but not so cooked that they're brown), add the peppers.
5. Once the peppers are partially soft, add the tomatoes.
6. Simmer on medium-low, covered, for about 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil and begin cooking pasta (rotini is my favorite, and I think it goes well with this sauce).
8. Once the veggies all seem soft (but not mushy), add 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce.  I like Prego's Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic (it also goes perfectly with these veggies).
9. Mix the sauce in with the veggies and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. The longer they simmer, the flavors all seem to mix in well together.
10. By that time, the pasta should be cooked.  Time to eat!


I'm hungry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment